To help celebrate our third anniversary, Voicebox invites you to help replace the boring old CDG of our top twenty songs by creating your own karaoke video. And you don’t have to be a professional video editor to participate. We’re looking for anything from animations to live action, from cue cards (a la Bob Dylan) to bouncing balls (mastered in this video), as long as the displayed lyrics are synchronized to the actual vocal syllable being sung—not just the word. No need to digitally superimpose, so be creative!
All entries must consist of a video file synchronized with the karaoke version of a song from Voicebox’s top song list (see list below and buy the best karaoke version of your song at TriceraSoft). The visual content of the video can be anything, so long as it is in good taste.
Videos must be the original work of the entrant. Entrants give Voicebox permission to 1) post video entries on its Facebook page, 2) use the video entires without restriction as part of Voicebox’s karaoke song library, 3) use the video entries for any other purpose, 4) publish the name(s) of entrant(s) in connection with this contest or in the karaoke song library.
Last Year’s Winning Video
Last Year’s Runner Up
Eligible, Legal Song Versions
Videos must be synchronized with legally obtained karaoke versions of one of Voicebox’s top songs (see below for song list). Entrants must purchase the karaoke version of the song themselves. Due to copyright law, Voicebox cannot provide the karaoke version for entrants. Links to required karaoke versions are listed below, and none costs more than $2.49. Entrants may present their receipt for the song purchase as a coupon for food, beverages, or karaoke at Voicebox. Voicebox has NO financial interest or affiliation with TriceraSoft.
Songs that have been crossed through already have incredible videos from last year’s contest. They’re off the table this year. Sorry!
Search for and buy your favorite karaoke version of the above songs on TriceraSoft.
Don’t Stop Believin’video
- Bohemian Rhapsody
- Sweet Caroline
- Dancing Queen
- Bad Romance
- Baby Got Back
- Love Shack
- I Will Survive
- Total Eclipse Of The Heart
- Ice Ice Baby
- Livin’ On A Prayer
- Like A Prayer
- Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)
- Friends In Low Places
- Summer Nights
To be considered valid entries:
- Videos should have a title screen that lists the song title, song artist(s), video composers, etc.
- Videos must be at least standard definition quality: 640×480 pixels. Higher resolution is preferred.
- The karaoke version audio track should be embedded in the video file and encoded either as PCM or as MP3.
- Video tracks should be compressed with a lossless codec — or with a lossy codec (H.264, MPEG-2, Xvid, DivX, Quicktime) set to very high quality settings. Entries that are unreadable by VLC media player or that are over-compressed may be rejected.
- Videos files must be submitted in person or by mail on either USB flash drive or on DVD-ROM media. Do not submit fully authored DVDs, only DVD-ROMs with video files on them. Entry media may be returned to entrants by pick-up only after the video files have been copied and verified.
- If you have questions or these sound more complicated than you think they really are, please contact us.
September 19th: Video Contest begins
November 11th: All submissions must be received by mail or hand delivery
November 14th: Videos Posted on Facebook, fan voting begins
November 22st: Video Contest winners announced and posted on Voicebox’s Facebook page. Winning videos will also be used every time a guest plays that song in their suite.
Prizes and Determination of Winners
Grand Prize, a check for $300. Voicebox staff will select the winner.
Second Prize, a check for $150. The winner will be selected by popular Facebook vote: all video entries will be posted on Voicebox’s Facebook page, and the winner is the video that gets the most “likes.”
Third Prize, $150 Voicebox Gift Certificate. The winner is determined by Facebook vote (see above). The gift certificate is valid any day with advanced reservation. Good for food, beverage or suite reservation time.
Participation Prize, $20 gift certificate to Voicebox. All non-winning entrants who submit a qualifying video will receive a Participation Prize. Entrants will receive no more than one Participation Prize, no matter how many entries they submit.
By submitting a video, entrants give Voicebox permission to screen their video entry in the course of its commercial operations. Entrants own their original work and may withdraw permission to use their video at any time.
- No purchase from Voicebox necessary to enter the contest.
- Individuals may submit multiple entries, so long as each entry satisfies these conditions.
- Voicebox reserves the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- Entrants must be at least 13 years old.
- Entrants must be residents of Oregon or Washington State.