Announcing Voicebox’s 3rd Annual Anniversary Video Contest
To help celebrate our fourth anniversary, Voicebox invites you to help replace the boring old CDG of our top hundred songs by creating your own karaoke video. And you don’t have to be a professional video editor to participate. We’re looking for anything from animations to live action, from cue cards (a la Bob Dylan) to bouncing balls (mastered in this video), as long as the displayed lyrics are synchronized to the actual vocal syllable being sung—not just the word. No need to digitally superimpose, so be creative!
All entries must consist of a video file synchronized with the karaoke version of a song from Voicebox’s top song list (see list below and buy the best karaoke version of your song at TriceraSoft, Karaoke Version, or Karaoke Channel). The visual content of the video can be anything, so long as it is in good taste.
Videos must be the original work of the entrant. Entrants give Voicebox permission to 1) post video entries on its Facebook page, 2) use the video entires without restriction as part of Voicebox’s karaoke song library, 3) use the video entries for any other purpose, 4) publish the name(s) of entrant(s) in connection with this contest or in the karaoke song library.
Last Year’s Winning Video
A Video From Last Year’s Contest
Eligible, Legal Song Versions
Videos must be synchronized with legally obtained karaoke versions of one of Voicebox’s top 100 songs (see below for songs that are off the table and see our site for the top 100 list). Entrants must purchase the karaoke version of the song themselves. Due to copyright law, Voicebox cannot provide the karaoke version for entrants. Links to required karaoke versions are listed below, and none cost more than $2.99. Entrants may present their receipt for the song purchase as a coupon for food, beverages, or karaoke at Voicebox. Voicebox has NO financial interest or affiliation with TriceraSoft, Karaoke Version, or Karaoke Channel.
Choose any of our top 100 songs, viewable here, that does not already have a video.
Songs listed below already have incredible videos from previous years’ contest. They’re off the table this year. Sorry!
- Don’t Stop Believin’ video
- Bohemian Rhapsody video
- Sweet Caroline video
- Poker Face video
- I Will Survive video
- Summer Nights video
To be considered valid entries:
- Videos should have a title screen that lists the song title, song artist(s), video composers, etc.
- Videos must be at least standard definition quality: 640×480 pixels. Higher resolution is preferred.
- The karaoke version audio track should be embedded in the video file and encoded either as PCM or as MP3.
- Video tracks should be compressed with a lossless codec — or with a lossy codec (H.264, MPEG-2, Xvid, DivX, Quicktime) set to very high quality settings. Entries that are unreadable by VLC media player or that are over-compressed may be rejected.
- Videos files must be submitted in person or by mail on either USB flash drive or on DVD-ROM media. Do not submit fully authored DVDs, only DVD-ROMs with video files on them. Entry media may be returned to entrants by pick-up only after the video files have been copied and verified.
- If you have questions or think these tips sound more complicated than they really are, please contact us.
September 15th: Video Contest begins
November 15th: All submissions must be received by mail or hand delivery
November 16th: Videos Posted on Facebook, fan voting begins
November 23rd: Video Contest winners announced and posted on Voicebox’s Facebook page. Winning videos will also be used every time a guest plays that song in their suite.
Prizes and Determination of Winners
First Prize, a check for $300. Voicebox staff will select the winner.
Second Prize, a check for $150. Voicebox staff will select the winner.
Third Prize, $150 Voicebox gift certificate. The winner is selected by Voicebox staff. The gift certificate is good any time with advance reservation, and can be used on food, drink, or room time.
Crowd Favorite, a gift certificate for a two-hour party in Box 5. The winner will be selected by popular Facebook vote: all video entries will be posted on Voicebox’s Facebook page, and the winner is the video that gets the most likes. Each video will only win one prize, so if the crowd favorite has been awarded any other prize, the next-highest liked video will win the crowd favorite prize.
Participation Prize, $20 gift certificate to Voicebox. All non-winning entrants who submit a qualifying video will receive a Participation Prize. Entrants will receive no more than one Participation Prize, no matter how many entries they submit.
By submitting a video, entrants give Voicebox permission to screen their video entry in the course of its commercial operations. Entrants own their original work and may withdraw permission to use their video at any time.
- No purchase from Voicebox necessary to enter the contest.
- Individuals may submit multiple entries, so long as each entry satisfies these conditions.
- Voicebox reserves the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- Entrants must be at least 13 years old.
- Entrants must be residents of Oregon or Washington State.